Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thank you to Tim at Kneissl UK and Colin at Solutions-4-Feet

Poster: A snowHead
Just a very quick thank you to Tim at Kneissl UK and Colin at Solutions-4-Feet.

On a recent trip back to the UK I collected the Kneissl Black Star XC’s and Kneissl branded Tyrolia Power 12D bindings that Tim had superbly packaged up and posted out to me. They were received in perfect condition and look just superb. I love the simplicity of the almost solid black design with flashes of red. I can’t wait to try them out on the slopes at the EoSB.

As I had to pass through Bicester anyway during my trip, so I made an advance booking for ski boot fitting at Solutions-4-Feet. All I can say is that I am utterly amazed at how technical (in a good way) ski boot fitting can be, and thoroughly appreciate the expertise on offer there at Solutions-4-Feet.

The fitting session started off with ascertaining my foot size, width (I have incredibly narrow feet), taking account of any funny lumps and bumps, then an assessment of foot flexibility.

My philosophy to life is ‘get it right first time’, so I opted for a set of custom footbeds rather than off the shelf footbeds. My feet were placed in the mould and then the malleable mould was hand shaped to each foot. The footbeds were then heated and placed between the sole of each foot and the mould so as to assume the profile of my foot once cooled. Then they were off for hand customisation by Colin in his little workshop.

There was only one ski boot that Colin could recommend (due to the narrowness of my feet). The vain side of me was pacified when a gorgeous pair of red/black ski boots appeared out of the box (matching the Kneissl Black Star XC skis I have just purchased). Colin thinks I am the first customer in the UK to purchase the 2015 Atomic Redster WC boots. Although it is a ‘race’ boot it was selected as it suits my narrow feet, and only has a flex rating of 110 to suit my competency and weight.

My bare feet were placed in the boot shells to ensure the clearances between foot and shell were correct. I then tried the boot on using the liner and my custom footbed. I was initially concerned because they felt so different to the hire boots I had been using over the years, the liner was a lot more cosseting to all areas of the foot than I had ever previously experienced and I could feel my toes touching the end of the boot. Colin reassured me this was perfect and all would become clear soon.

The boots and liners were then heated to 120°c and my feet were then slid in to the boot and buckles fastened appropriately. My feet had foam toe caps, large bunion type foam pads over specific lumps and bumps on my feet, covered in socks to match my usual sock thickness, all wrapped in a plastic bag to ease entry into the boot. A few minutes of standing still to allow the boot shells to take their initial shape was then followed by 10 minutes (wrapped in freezer packs to set the shells) of slightly flexing the shells. And that was it, I beamed like a Cheshire Cat, the boots felt amazing!

Towards the end of the boot fitting had to turn down Colins kind offer of a beer as I was driving.

A few sample images follow (the boot in the photo is a 130 flex, my boots are 100 flex).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

2015 Atomic Redster WC

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-03-14 8:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Kneissl Black Star XC
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Kneissl Black Star XC
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Kneissl Tyrolia Power 12D binding
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You do realise, that even though it is not the case, that people will think you are the sort of muppet who just bought that set up because it all matches!

I am another happy Colin Client....not a matching one though
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WeiB.beer, are you sure that wasn't 120F? 120C sounds as though it wouldn't do your feet much good Puzzled Even 120F is 48C which is quite warm against the skin.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
You do realise, that even though it is not the case, that people will think you are the sort of muppet who just bought that set up because it all matches!

is there any other criteria for buying kit Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i've heard nothing but good things about colin, but the colour scheme's all a bit gary numan for my taste.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 25-03-14 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
WeiB.beer wrote:
Just a very quick thank you to Tim at Kneissl UK and Colin at Solutions-4-Feet.

On a recent trip back to the UK I collected the Kneissl Black Star XC’s and Kneissl branded Tyrolia Power 12D bindings that Tim had superbly packaged up and posted out to me. They were received in perfect condition and look just superb. I love the simplicity of the almost solid black design with flashes of red. I can’t wait to try them out on the slopes at the EoSB.

Have fun....I'll be there on mine too (well the MC version) Toofy Grin

Two weeks so far and bloody love 'em Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
WeiB.beer, are you sure that wasn't 120F? 120C sounds as though it wouldn't do your feet much good Puzzled Even 120F is 48C which is quite warm against the skin.

Probably a bit of miscommunication here, I was definitely informed 120 something, and by virtue that the boots we're removed from the oven using oven gloves then I think it was over 120f/48c.

In retrospect I assume that the oven was set at 120c and the boots may only be in there for X minutes thus not allowing them to achieve parity with the oven temperature.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WeiB.beer, Shocked I hope they cooled down a little before you rammed your feet in them. They come off of a standard liner heater nicely cosy, but that does sound hot!!

Mind you my boot fitter has told me that the boot tech they will offer next year will include boots where the whole thing inc. liners is heated and moulded to the user's foot. Perhaps that is what you have had done. I imagine they have to get that sort of boot fairly hot for that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
WeiB.beer, Mind you my boot fitter has told me that the boot tech they will offer next year will include boots where the whole thing inc. liners is heated and moulded to the user's foot. Perhaps that is what you have had done. I imagine they have to get that sort of boot fairly hot for that.

That's exactly how my boots were fitted, shell and liner went into the oven.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WeiB.beer wrote:
Megamum wrote:
WeiB.beer, Mind you my boot fitter has told me that the boot tech they will offer next year will include boots where the whole thing inc. liners is heated and moulded to the user's foot. Perhaps that is what you have had done. I imagine they have to get that sort of boot fairly hot for that.

That's exactly how my boots were fitted, shell and liner went into the oven.

Yep mine too, ice packs and standing on the granite to cool them afterwards Madeye-Smiley

A great process and the foot doesnt get too warm, or the poly bag would melt wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll add to the happy customer of Colin's list!! Awesome boot fitting, my race boots fit like a glove and 3 years on performing great still! Im certainly not matching - Orange Rossi boot with red and white head skiis ;-p
snow conditions
I also purchased a pair of the excellent Kneissl Black Stars from Tim and am absolutely delighted with them. Best skis I have ever owned and Tim's advice and support was first class. Do check him out as he gives discounts to Snowheads. Skullie
snow report
I hope I am wrong, but this all reads as a bit of an advert to me.
ski holidays
Megamum, you wouldnt want the plastic softening at 48c, a black boot would then soften in spring sun on the terrace...
snow conditions
dode, colin doesn't need any adverts. These are all genuinely satisfied customers. Assuming that the OP can cope with a race boot and has access to someone in Dubai or Val T who can adjust if/when they are screamingly tight (or he can apply rule 5) he'll be another advocate.
ski holidays
Megamum, the plastic shells are heated to 120 degrees C, there is a liner between the shell and the boot so the heat dissipates through to help mold the liner and re contour the shell, it is pretty warm but not what you would describe as hot, it amazes me the number of people who when i bring out a shell with gloves on insist on touching the clips to see how hot they are rolling eyes rolling eyes

the Op had bought the skis before the boots BUT did not even mention them until we were well into the molding process, so it was pure luck on the colour match up

holidayloverxx, when you have feet that narrow race boots don't get to screamingly tight, just everything else fits like a bucket Little Angel
ski holidays
CEM, Laughing
latest report
CEM, interesting - it still sounds hot, you mention gloves - yes, I would think they are necessary. I'm just envisaging an oven at 120C that I might bake in - it's only warm for baking, but oven gloves would still be needed. How soon do the customers stick their feet in them? I just envisage something at 120C as able to cause burns with prolonged contact. A kettle boils water at 100C and when that is at boiling point inside I can't lay hands on it on the outside. I know the client probably has a ski sock on does that provide sufficient barrier to be able to put the boots on straight from the oven? It just all sounds, in theory, a bit on the warm side or is it all controlled so that the liner doesn't get that hot relative to the shell - perhaps by this liner that you mention? I'm just interested in the science behind the concept - I don't suppose I'll ever need to buy a pair Laughing
snow report
Megamum wrote:
CEM, interesting

CEM's post seems quite straight forward, only the plastic shell is heated to 120c the stock or after market liner (zipfit, etc) is then inserted. The customer is advised not to touch the shell/ buckles etc but with assistance to put foot into liner ( wearing socks +/- padding on prominent areas).
As normally the liner keeps your foot warmer than the external shell, here it's protecting the wearer from the heat of the shells.
latest report
Megamum, the boot goes on straight from the oven, NEVER burnt a customer yet! the plastic cools pretty quickly and if it wasn't for the metal clips i could probably get away without the gloves

been heating shells this way or using boiling water for some 15 years,, yes a kettle boils at 100 degrees C but it is the nature of the material (water) and the steam it creates which causes more damage than the actual heat (if that makes sense) plastic doesn't create steam the liners if heated get to about 60 degrees, or in the case of a thermo liner it goes in that same oven to 120 degrees, never needed gloves to handle them and they go straight against the foot (with a sock) on that process i have heard of one person getting a burn but it was caused by a fault in the liner not the process itself
ski holidays
Megamum, and a good sauna is 95C but you dont get burnt....
latest report
Ah, I see Very Happy Only the shell gets to 120C the liners are heated to a lower temp. Yes, I can see - that makes more sense, I had assumed that the whole lot went through the 120C process ergo, the liner ended up as hot as the boot shell - clearly this is not the case. Thanks for the explanation Very Happy I agree it is the steam that causes the damage (something I know only too well looking at scar on my left hand from about 4 weeks ago rolling eyes 120C is still fairly hot, but if only the shell gets there then yes, I can see that the liner would provide the protection.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I agree it is the steam that causes the damage (something I know only too well looking at scar on my left hand from about 4 weeks ago rolling eyes

Ouch! Don't forget about the Latent Heat that is given out when some steam condenses onto your skin!
snow report
Alastair Pink, Even more is given out when a superheated item from microwaved bowl of soup suddenly explodes from the depths of the bowl and showers you!!! Sorry folks, I digress Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, what you need are hands like my mother in law. 70 years of cooking mean she has no nerves in her hands. Never seems to need gloves - the thinnest cloth will do.
latest report
WeiB.beer wrote:

My philosophy to life is ‘get it right first time’,

Mine is "just because you wear band-aids on your nipples, doesn't mean you've finished a marathon" but I like your's too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy