Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2023/2024 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@martinperry, Try posting in the Grand Massif thread instead of Portes du Soleil.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Yeah, a lot of snow falling today, as per forecast. Perhaps 10cm so far in the village here (Morgins, 1300m)

My mate telling me it’s snowing in Morzine but very damp at the moment. But should be a good top up above 1400 or so.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coming back out for an unexpected bonus second trip of the year, on Monday so hoping the meteoblue forecast of three snowy days between now and then comes true.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MHskier, Been monitoring meteoswiss and snow-forecast over the last week or so (got a mate coming on Friday for a week) and they've been consistent and accurate, so I'm also hopeful that after today's ~30cm the 15 or so expected Sunday and the smaller falls on Monday and Tuesday should give me a great week on my new powder skis. snowHead Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Save us a bit @Chaletbeauroc - arriving a week Friday for the best part of three weeks (with a short break to go home for a few days before easter).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@MHskier, Been monitoring meteoswiss and snow-forecast over the last week or so (got a mate coming on Friday for a week) and they've been consistent and accurate, so I'm also hopeful that after today's ~30cm the 15 or so expected Sunday and the smaller falls on Monday and Tuesday should give me a great week on my new powder skis. snowHead Cool

Bergfex takes a different view. 1cm of snow and some rain too. I would keeo the rock-hoppers to hand just in case

https://www.bergfex.com/morzine/wetter/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That’s Morzine though @red 27 - same app is pretty consistent for Champery.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@martinperry, Try posting in the Grand Massif thread instead of Portes du Soleil.

Oops!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow on the rooftops in Morzine this morning. Nothing on the ground in the village to speak of but things looking a lot more wintry higher up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arriving at the weekend, staying in Morzine for the week.
Wondering about prebooking an off-piste guide/instructor.

Before we commit - what are people's thoughts about likely conditions through the week?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ray Zorro,

I was out skiing yesterday between Linderets and Chatel. There’s still reasonable depth on piste due to the man made snow but below 1600m there’s not a lot of base of piste. The snow quality yesterday was pretty poor to be honest. The snow is very old and largely man made. A combination of icy higher up and slushy sugar lower down. Having said that, there has been a small snowfall over the last 18 hours or so so that might freshen things up a little. The forecast seems as ever this season, unpredictable.

The thing about renting a guide is, they’ll always find something interesting to do given your ability and the conditions. It just comes down to picking the best day weather wise. From that point of view, meteoblue and its like are just as accurate as anyone here.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, thanks

Maybe I should have added that the options we have been offered are either Weds or Thurs and starting from Avoriaz
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wednesday and Thursday look like the best days of the week at this point @Ray Zorro, after a little bit of precipitation earlier in the week.
Avoriaz will be a good place to start from.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I’d not bother with a guide and save the €450ish for another time. I just can’t see there being enough fresh between and next week to change things significantly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice cold morning....pretty busy, so was good to get away from pistes. All these from the bowl / chavannes, did feel the grass below off piste a few times but no damage..won't last long though, as neither will I.....busy time of year coming up. Good luck.

ski holidays
Have Morzine and Les Gets skiers got the slopes almost to themselves today? Above circa 1,700m looks to be fresh white stuff.

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/webcams.html
https://www.lesgets.com/en/webcams/
ski holidays
Heading out to Avoriaz on the 16th. Anyone able to comment on the likelihood of fresh snow before I arrive? Has yesterday's snow made much of an impact on the piste conditions?
snow conditions
@pmercer, the pistes in Avoriaz are fine - unless you’re going to spend a week skiing down to Prodains you have nothing to worry about. There is some more snow forecast for Tuesday next week but it’s not certain.

They were also running snow cannon on Nyon this morning early doors so they look to be freshening up the lower runs where they can.
snow report
If I'm reading this mornings GFS correctly then next weekend is starting to look a tad snowy. Freezing levels look a little high is my only concern.
ski holidays
@pmercer, as it stands the whole of the week (from 15/3) looks quite unsettled but as you say FL could be 2000m+, which would make things quite soggy lower down. I can’t see any massive precipitation events though - more “occasional showers” at the moment. But it’s still a long way off - and if I’ve understood Polo’s posts where the low pressure areas end up will be the deciding factor.
ski holidays
A quick review for newbies - as were we when it comes to this location, this time last week.

Just back from our first time in PdS, a week in Morzine. Could have MTB'd there - but the snow up in Avoriaz and even over as far as Champousains reasonable considering it hand't snowed in a month ebfore we arrived. Morganes? yeah - not really happening. Chatel? - yes: skied round there too, and was nice - but thin. We didn't get to Les Gets, but others who did were 'uninspired' but conditions.

Weather at the start of the week was a bit bleah, and meant that flat light and cloud encouraged everyone into defensive skiing. But blue skies and sun for the second half was glorious and we had a good time.

Huge crowds near Avoriaz - We're not used to queuing 20+ mins , well not since the 90s, but once you got over to the Swiss side, a much more pleasant experience.

Based on trips to Les Arcs, St Anton and Ischgl this winter, the Lift system is a bit outdated, without the investment you see in other places. Many pomas and T-bars still in existence, and not enough detachables. Also, many 'pinch points' - Proclou particularly comes to mind - if thinking of travelling around the whole domain.
Prices seemed high compared to the other mega resorts, which given infrastructure constraints, was disappointing.

Would be happy to return to PdS: but won't be first choice. And probably not staying in Morzine: routes home are all a bit of a mess frankly, either busses from Ardent or Prodains, or downloading via Super-Morzine. And having to download to even that via Zore because the home run was closed for the whole week, even with a lot of snow on the Wednesday. Got to wondering if it lasts much longer as a ski centre - I suppose being the link to Les Gets means it will have a purpose - but you get the sense it's future lies with the summer. But a nice town with plenty of restaurants, bars, shops even a micro-brewery that stands it in good stead for those with non-skiing partners.

On the travel front we took the train from St Pancras to Paris, then to Geneva, where the tour company picked us up. Because we booked a chalet stay with VIPski (shout out to them - great experience) who do Sunday transfer days, we actually spent an evening in Paris on the way over as the limited Sunday train times didn't match their pickups, but we did the return in a single day - 12 hours door to door, including time change. Would we do it again? - possibly not, it made for a long journey, but was not much different from going down to Bourg for our more usual Les Arcs trips: the main difference being the necessity for the bus ride at the end/beginning. Not something you could do easily if self organising.

Overall you always recall that a week in the mountains is better than a week in the office, and we had a right old craic. I think there may be better options though if this was your first experience of the Alps.
ski holidays
Freezing levels look pretty high for the next week or so. Hoping that changes over the next few days before the next band of weather arrives.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, i think most/ many ‘low’ ski resorts futures will be the summer or setting up year round hubs for a larger population. Oh and being next to a water source for when the water wars start Very Happy
ski holidays
Webcams showing the white stuff coming down in the Ranfoily bowl and the Chavannes plateau. Any idea of how much is coming down? And will it be enough to rescue my Easter trip?!
latest report
There looks to be plenty of precipitation in the models - think the question will be is it snow or rain that will fall in terms of Easter.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Webcams showing the white stuff coming down in the Ranfoily bowl and the Chavannes plateau. Any idea of how much is coming down? And will it be enough to rescue my Easter trip?!

With the huge French Alps base mentioned on Snowheads fairly often over the last few weeks and it snowing moderately at all levels:
https://www.lesgets.com/webcams/
Aren't you pretty much guaranteed to have decent skiing conditions this April?
snow report
Snowing heavily at the top of super morzine when I came down today. Rain in morzine. Tetras open so no need to download anymore but if you like your skis you might want to anyway.
snow report
Can anyone advise…
If non skiers got the bus from morzine to avoriaz. How easy would it be for them to meet up with others who get there on skis?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Can anyone advise…
If non skiers got the bus from morzine to avoriaz. How easy would it be for them to meet up with others who get there on skis?
. Very easily. Non-skiers can head up Prodains gondola to the Avoriaz "village" plateau. Skiers have various routes available towards Avoriaz to meet up.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:

thats a nice question. I booked also there (Avoriaz) and althoug is the highest in PDS i am not so optimistic as last year with La Plagne. However hope it will be ok, but i do not have great expectations
ski holidays
Came out yesterday and very pleasantly surprised, snowed hard today whilst I was at the Swiss wall with around 6cm or so falling up top. Snow condition is really good above 1500 or so…
snow report
@turms2, Avoriaz will be fine - they’ve tonnes of snow.
snow conditions
@Gnipgnop, TBH snow conditions everywhere I've skied over the last few days are still really good- teaching round Morgins/Champoussin on Saturday, over to Crosets yesterday, round from Pre la Joux to Avoriaz today. Home runs down to Ardent and PlJ are still excellent all the way to the bottom.

Snowing on and off the last two days and set for more up until Wednesday, so a fair but of fresh but off-piste still affected by under-surface crust in places. Found a few soft bits this morning though snowHead
ski holidays
A blizzard for Avoriaz this Friday, Sunday and Monday?

https://www.bergfex.com/morzine/wetter/
ski holidays
poo..this is really bad for Chatel etc
ski holidays
Thought I'd share the Chatel Live youtube feed that is on 24/7 and gives a good view of the weather and snow conditions at Plane Dranse at c. 1600m. The camera is at the top of the Pierre Longue chair looking towards the Rochassons lift which goes to the ridge on top of Linderets.

http://youtube.com/v/2u4VTneg-0Y
ski holidays
Thanks @Ozboy - another for the list!!
ski holidays
Going by an array of webcams, sleet at 2,000m, snowing all the way above that?

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/webcams.html
snow report
Arrive tomorrow and looking at the website there is still loads to ski on. Never seen the slopes into town look so bad but it is what is and looking forward to getting out there
snow conditions
mikeelsa wrote:
Arrive tomorrow and looking at the website there is still loads to ski on. Never seen the slopes into town look so bad but it is what is and looking forward to getting out there

Are you in Avoriaz or close by, should be great snow?

https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/avoriaz-2460m/741913

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 15-03-24 15:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy