Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Been to Avoriaz a few times skiing with the family but choosing to go to Wengen for NY. A few questions if you don't mind! I have booked the parking at Lauterbrunnen and I am just looking at buying the ski passes. We are just about intermediate people really but I just don't know which ski pass to get?? Also, what does the ski pass include for example the train fare up to Wengen? Also the choice, in Avoriaz we choose the Ski card but there is an option for a Swiss Pass?

We are considering a taxi to our apartment as 3 children (19, 21, 22) are with us including lots of useless luggage so, my question is it mental to get a taxi to take stuff to our apartment (Avoriaz was pretty easy just wait for horse and sledge).

Any great tips for restaurants would be good! We can apparently get shopping delivered beforehand to the apartment I wondered if I just guess what I want as no price list or online facility?

Anyway, any help appreciated!

Thanks!
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fairfields3, A couple of points. Firstly as regards the skipass are you aware that you can get up to 20% discount on the normal price by ordering them online at least 21 days before your first day of skiing? Here's the website link: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/earlybird-skipass/
As regards the type of liftpass you've got a choice of either the Grindelwald and Wengen skipass (6 day discounted adult price 240CHF rather than the usual 300CHF) or the all inclusive Jungfrau region skipass which also includes Mürren in addition to Grindelwald and Wengen for a 6 day discounted adult price of 285CHF. If you've never been to the region before then I'd definitely recommend spending at least one day over at Mürren, it's a very pretty village and has the famous Piz Gloria at the top of the Schilthorn with it's James Bond connections (it featured as Blofeld's mountain top lair in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Madeye-Smiley ). Both versions of the skipass actually cover rail travel all the way to/from Interlaken Ost to/from Lauterbrunnen and to/from Wengen.

Whether you require a taxi or not in Wengen depends on how close your apartment is to Wengen station. If you do need a taxi then there are several companies available, e.g Wegmüller you could phone them once you're on board the train at Lauterbrunnen and arrange for them to meet you at Wengen station when you arrive.

As regards restaurants the Bernerhof on the main street is quite good for special Swiss dishes like fondue (both cheese and meat varieties), and Pierrade/Feuerstein/Hot Rocks where you cook your small slices of meat yourself on a hot stone which they bring to your table (sprinkling a little salt onto the rock stops the meat sticking) and its served with plentiful chips and dipping sauces. I'm sure other Wengen regulars will suggest other eating venues.
There a Co-Op store near the station and another supermarket on the main street for your apartment grocery shopping.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are a star!! Yes, thought that we may go with the Jungfrau region pass, thanks for the link! Always good to get restaurant recommendations so cheers for that!
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fairfields3, You're welcome. One more point, when you order your skipasses online you can choose to have the passes mailed to you in the UK (I think they charge an extra 5CHF for that) or you can choose to get an emailed receipt/voucher which you can present at a number of places to collect your skipass (e.g Lauterbrunnen station or Wengen Mannlichen cable car). Are you intending skiing on your arrival day? If so then you can use your skipass to travel from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen. However if your skipass isn't valid until the next day after you arrive then you'll have to pay for the train fare from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen on your arrival day. snowHead

P.S As regards restaurants there are several Pizzerias (that also do take away) so your children should be happy if they get withdrawal symptoms. Madeye-Smiley
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How easy is Wengen/Jungfrau on a weekend from the UK? Is it feasible to fly in on a Friday and out on Sunday and get a decent amount of skiing?
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha! They will deffo get withdrawals! Never thought of that regarding not being able to use the pass for the train as we prob won't ski till Sunday (We arrive Saturday).

We normally get the keycard to stick in our jackets so will go for this, we normally get this sent in advance. Our apartment is apparently only 500m from the station, now past experience given the amount of luggage the kids take it can be knackering. Have you any experience of the taxi situation?? We can walk but I just don't want to haul luggage and equipment up a hill!
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@fairfields3, can you say where your apartment is? If you know the street name I could look at it on Google maps and have a good chance of telling you whether there's any uphill bits getting to it from the station. snowHead
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair has covered most of it, but regarding the Swiss Pass you definitely don’t need one.
Restaurants. At the moment the Silberhorn Stübe opposite the station is good, as is Pasta & More in the main street. There's also a great takeaway called Santos, and an Indian restaurant called Golden India.
On the mountain the Berghaus at Männlichen is good, as is the Eigernordwand at Kleine Scheidegg.

If your apartment is 500 metres from the station then definitely book a taxi - you can’t go more than about 100 metres here without encountering a steep hill.

Bars - Rocks is the best all-rounder, beers, cocktails and sport on TV. Tanne is also very good - more of a cool cocktail bar than a pub.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FrediKanoute wrote:
How easy is Wengen/Jungfrau on a weekend from the UK? Is it feasible to fly in on a Friday and out on Sunday and get a decent amount of skiing?

Loads of people used to do this by flying from London City to Bern with Skywork. Alas, they went bust earlier this year, so unless you can find another carrier flying to Bern it'll have to be Geneva, Zurich or Basel which are all longish rail transfers. I guess with an early flight to Zürich you could ski Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning and then get a late flight back.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Walk past Hotel Caprice and up the hill!!!! Honestly, I don’t mind walking but not with luggage! I don’t know anymore than that at the moment!
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fairfields3 wrote:
Walk past Hotel Caprice and up the hill!!!! Honestly, I don’t mind walking but not with luggage! I don’t know anymore than that at the moment!

Get a taxi. Oh, and if you are renting through Interhome they'll send you a shopping list by email a week or so before you travel.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, Wengen Apartments!
Thanks, yep taxi it is! Is it best to ring from the station at Wengen or will it be mental with everyone wanting a taxi? There can’t be many taxis!
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Call Wegmuller when you get to Lauterbrunnen and you know what train you'll be on. +41 33 855 3380.

Edit - you can pre-order some shopping directly from the shop if your agent doesn’t do it for you: https://www.dorflade-wengen.ch/en/range
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fairfields3, telford_mike has given good advice about taking a taxi (and other eating establishments), so I think between us we've covered your queries. Toofy Grin If you have any more questions just ask. snowHead
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very much appreciated, thank you!!
snow report     
Murren is better.
snow report     
Whitegold wrote:
Murren is better.

Are you in league with Chris Brookes by any chance? snowHead Mürren is great, we go there all the time, but 50km of pistes is hardly going to keep a family happy for a week.
ski holidays     
telford_mike wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Murren is better.

Are you in league with Chris Brookes by any chance? snowHead Mürren is great, we go there all the time, but 50km of pistes is hardly going to keep a family happy for a week.

It actually has 53km of pistes.... Laughing Laughing

I would also like to state its not all about quantity but about quality, easier access to the piste, car-free, much better snow depth, higher altitude...do i need to go on... Laughing
snow conditions     
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Murren is better.

It actually has 53km of pistes.... Laughing Laughing

I would also like to state its not all about quantity but about quality, easier access to the piste, car-free, much better snow depth, higher altitude...do i need to go on... Laughing

Aha! But 5km of that is the run down to Lauterbrunnen, and (a) it’s never open, and (b) who wants to go to Lauterbrunnen? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report     
@telford_mike, lolol
snow report     
@telford_mike, I have Inferno’ed to Lauterbrunnen 3 or 4 times ...
ski holidays     
under a new name wrote:
@telford_mike, I have Inferno’ed to Lauterbrunnen 3 or 4 times ...

Absolutely, and that's the only good reason for doing the run from Winteregg down to the valley Very Happy
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy