Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
As you will know I'm a beginner, skier but now an improving beginner. After I finished my two hour practice this morning, I was going to purchase my first set of ski's.

But as the season is now over Snow + Rock didn't have much in stock for guys, so as I currently need a ski that can turn easily, the senior ski guy suggested a woman's ski namely this one : https://volkl.com/en-gb/p/flair-75-2024

He also had a look on Decathlons site and said this woman's one is also very easy to turn : https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women's-alpine-ski-with-binding-head-real-joy-black/_/R-p-X8783002

I could have purchased the Volkl or the Head from decathlon, but was unsure if a woman's ski would be suitable, as I'm a guy. Puzzled

Anyway, as a rain check on my purchase, there is a ski gear trade show being held at Chill Factore on the 5th & 6th of October, all the trade names will be there and apparently skiers can demo ski's, unfortunately, as a beginner one ski would feel just like another to me. Sad

The ski's I'm currently using as the CF Head Ambition in Orange at 150cm, and I'll make do with them till the trade show, before I buy my own. Lee the senior ski guy said he'll be at the show and will advice me, so the sales rep won't sell me a ski I will not be skilled enough for.

Any ski makes and models suitable for beginner come very early intermediates I should look out for come the October trade show? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me&MySkis wrote:

I could have purchased the Volkl or the Head from decathlon, but was unsure if a woman's ski would be suitable, as I'm a guy. Puzzled

In general "women's" skis are not hugely different from gender-neutral ones. They tend to be on the shorter, lighter, less stiff side and sometimes are just the same skis with different graphics.

Those ones, although the blurb says they're good for "ladies", also says they're suitable for men or youths. What makes them easy to turn is the very short radius of 12m, plus the tip and tail rockers. I can't see anything about them that sould make them unsuitable, but ISTR from the other thread that you're on the heavier side? If so then you'd generally be looking for slightly longer, slightly stiffer ski, but these are aimed at "Ambitious ,Advanced " skiers so it may be that the bloke in the shop has already taken this into account.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 21-05-24 15:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boots first, if you haven't already.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bob wrote:
boots first, if you haven't already.

Already got my boots, and custom insoles and tried them three times at CF already. So my boots sorted, just after some skis to go with them now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Me&MySkis wrote:

In general "women's" skis are not hugely different from gender-neutral ones. They tend to be on the shorter, lighter, less stiff side and sometimes are just the same skis with different graphics.

Those ones, although the blurb says they're good for "ladies", also says they're suitable for men or youths. What makes them easy to turn is the very short radius of 12m, plus the tip and tail rockers. I can't see anything about them that sould make them unsuitable, but ISTR from the other thread that you're on the heavier side? If so then you'd generally be looking for slightly longer, slightly stiffer ski, but these are aimed at "Ambitious ,Advanced " skiers so it may be that the bloke in the shop has already taken this into account.

Yeah, he did mention the shorter and lighter ness, as Volkl for women is softer then Volkl's for men, and he mentioned the graphics as well, graphics wise, the skis at CF tend to be covered in snow at the end of my session so unless it is pink and flowers or other such woman type graphic the graphics are a non issue for me.

Anyway, I'll see what is available at the trade show, as S&R start getting in all the gear for the 2025 season in October.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you considered hiring skis in resort ? You would get good advice from the ski shop regarding your ability level and the type of ski most suitable for you and the opportunity to try various different skis throughout the week with an option to buy them if you want ?
Andy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Restless native wrote:
Have you considered hiring skis in resort ? You would get good advice from the ski shop regarding your ability level and the type of ski most suitable for you and the opportunity to try various different skis throughout the week with an option to buy them if you want ?
Andy

Yes, I did consider it, but I've do enough hiring at CF, plus you can progress better with your own ski's as you get used to how they ski, and perform, and not having to get used to strange ski's that have met n skiers before they met me. Note : That is also why you get used to your own car, and how it drives.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plus the ski hire shop might be crowded and any suitable ski might already be loaned out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Me&MySkis, The traditional best way to find skis that suit you is to find a good ski shop in resort and pre-arrange with them to demo say three pairs that you might be considering. They'll refund the rental/demo cost, normally for three days, if you then buy new skis from them.

It does mean that you end up paying resort prices for them, so of course if you're already found online purchase options that may be cheaper than cost price -demo charge then you may choose that option instead, or use it as a negotiation point.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Me&MySkis, I know the Head Ambitions well, I normaly use the blue flavour down at the Hemmel Fridge.
I rather like them, they are really easy to use aas many different and ideal for the indoor pistes.
I can understand why you want to have your own skis, it just feels good.

You've got your own boots which are essential, well done.
I suggest you try out as many different pairs of skis as you can, but the snag is trying them in the fridge is different from a real hill. You are more likely to be influenced by the colour or brand loyalty.
As others have said, rent in the resort, a good ski shop will allow you to try as many skis as you want, as well as guide you.

There will probably be a "Snowheads" Ski Test in October or November at the Chill Factor.

It's fun choosing your skis, enjoy it.
What might be a good idea is have a pair of your own skis for using in the fridge.
I was thinking of getting a pair of skis especially for the fridge.
I'd choose slalom type short radius in 160cm.
They don't have to be a new pair.

The skis I'd like to own for the fridge would be Atomic X7.
I've used them on the mountain several times, they are forgiving and easy, fast enough for me.

For an easy ski on the hill, I'd probably go for Salamon Stance 80.
I've only used them for one day but there was 6" of new snow, and I was impressed how easy they were, ideal and easy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Me&MySkis, The traditional best way to find skis that suit you is to find a good ski shop in resort and pre-arrange with them to demo say three pairs that you might be considering. They'll refund the rental/demo cost, normally for three days, if you then buy new skis from them.

It does mean that you end up paying resort prices for them, so of course if you're already found online purchase options that may be cheaper than cost price -demo charge then you may choose that option instead, or use it as a negotiation point.

You - and others here - seem to be under the misconception that a beginner skier still learning the skiing technique, is able to test different ski makes and models in order to identify differences between them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
@Me&MySkis, For an easy ski on the hill, I'd probably go for Salamon Stance 80.
I've only used them for one day but there was 6" of new snow, and I was impressed how easy they were, ideal and easy.

Snow + Rock had a Salomon Stance 80 on the rack up stairs, but the senior ski guy didn't recommend it. <shrug>
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Me&MySkis, He probably wanted to keep it for himself Very Happy
They are not an expensive ski, I think they come in at under £500 with the binding.

Ah well he probably knows best..
Ask him if you could try a Kastle DX73 or a Stokli Laser then.
Those are my two current favourites... I'm a very senior intermidiot at 80Kg wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Me&MySkis wrote:
You - and others here - seem to be under the misconception that a beginner skier still learning the skiing technique, is able to test different ski makes and models in order to identify differences between them.

The misconception is yours. From what you've said about your skiing I absolutely would expect that you could tell the difference - if you can not then there is no point whatsoever in buying your own skis, just rent until you progress to the level where you can.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There us no rush. Just stick to the CF skis for now. At your professed level there is no point stressing about anything else. You seem dead set on your own skis for consistency but all sorts of things will change in the next year including your perception of length you feel comfortable on.

I really wouldn't recommend buying a 150 ski if you are an adult male. They'll ultimately be pretty unstable on actual mountain slopes as you develop skills and speed.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, I was going to post that very thing.

Mind you, I have at least one chum who is a good, experienced skier and she has no feel whatsoever for skis, she just gets on them and gets on with it. Shocked I, on the other hand, am quite fussy.

@Me&MySkis, I totally wouldn't buy anything until October, but I doubt I'd advise you to buy anything at all anyway.
ski holidays
@Me&MySkis, appreciate you want the continuity of using the same skis every time, but i'm also in the camp of don't bother buying until you know for sure what you like.

Personally, I didn't bother buying skis until a couple of years ago, at which point I was at a pretty decent standard (had probably 15+ weeks under the feet). Ski hire shops are big enough, and have enough stock that there'll be something suitable to you, and also have a wide enough range that you can change them through out the week to try different skis and decide what you like.

That said if you've got the money and aren't concerned about buying a ski that will/should be unsuitable in a couple of months time due to your continued (hopefully) progression, then of course go ahead and buy your own.

What's your stats roughly? (Height and weight)

I probably fall in to the camp of, I can't tell too much difference between brands of an equivalent ski, despite skiing to a reasonably good standard. I can however feel a huge difference in the different types/lengths of skis, of which I own an increasingly expanding number of different types, much to the disapproval of Mrs Swskier Laughing Laughing
snow report
My trick for testing skis is to ski them back-to-back, in the same conditions, on the same piste, taking the same line as far as possible. Start off on your “normal” skis and do a couple of runs to get your ski legs, then swap to a new pair, and another, for as many pairs as possible. Take a photo each time, and note down the model, size and any thoughts you have. Sometimes it makes sense to go back for the same ski in a different length or width.

I'd be very surprised if anyone can't tell the difference using that method. I heard similar arguments from my partner when I took him to a powder ski test in March. First he said he couldn't tell what he liked, but knew he didn't like any of them, and it was all a waste of time, until half way through the second day (it was over a weekend –Saturday was unsuccessful, so we returned on Sunday) when he suddenly had a revelation and found a ski that worked for him. It wasn't on the list. On paper, it was too narrow (he went up a width in the end), but the “feel” was right and that was enough.

I tried a few pairs while I was there, just for shiggles (I did end up buying some, but we shouldn't talk about that Embarassed ), and although largely the same type of ski (off-piste) in roughly the same size, the differences noticeable when skiing were:
ease of turning
flex
stability
“life” – some just felt sort of dead/dull
latest report
@Me&MySkis,
Have a look at glisshop.co.uk

Search under mens ski sets and then they come with the bindings.

For example they have Dynastar Speed 263 Xpress in a 164 length.

Beginners skis with a light wood core so easy to turn on at low speeds with a nice 74 underfoot so not too wide/narrow.

£200 with the extra 10% discount code (this will go to 15% if you're prepared to wait).

Supply your boot size etc and they'll arrive all set up for you and away you go.

Just my opinion but don't spend anymore than roughly that amount, plus they should be perfect for Chill Factore as well as your first trip to the mountains should you choose to take them with you.
ski holidays
Jammy 07 wrote:

Supply your boot size etc and they'll arrive all set up for you and away you go......

Not true. Bindings cannot be set properly without the users specific boot. I've see loads of Glisshop mounted/adjusted bindings that were incorrect in both their forward pressure and din settings.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Jammy 07 wrote:

Supply your boot size etc and they'll arrive all set up for you and away you go......

Not true. Bindings cannot be set properly without the users specific boot. I've see loads of Glisshop mounted/adjusted bindings that were incorrect in both their forward pressure and din settings.

Fair enough and good to point that out.

Personal experience for me has been fine though but then I've always included the relevant info when placing the order.

However I take the point that having the specific boot is definitely preferable and that some adjustments may still be necessary.
snow report
@Me&MySkis, I think there are three broad factors you might want to consider when deciding whether to buy or hire skis.

Financial. After allowing for annual servicing / repair costs and airline baggage fees it isn't necessarily cheaper to buy than hire. Depends also on how many weeks use you will get out of them before you want to upgrade.

Quality of skiing. You think it essential to buy, so you 'get used' to them. Personally I have hired for 30+ years and never had an issue. (If I had had an issue I could simply have swapped them). As a relative beginner, your technique will be far far more significant than any attributes of your skis. And of course after the first year hiring often gets you newer / better skis than a pair you might have bought a few years before, particularly when there are significant developments in design or technology..

Ease of travel. I am a similar age to you, as are my skiing companions. Those who own their own skis have now reached the point of thinking that they will switch to hiring when their current pair reach end-of-life, simply to avoid the hassle of travelling through trains, airports, transfers etc with an additional relatively heavy and awkward shaped item of baggage.
ski holidays
@Me&MySkis, following @ecureuil's points, I estimate skis have around 150-250 days reasonable life, dependent on use and servicing. So that's ~20-30 "weeks".

I am going to suggest that most people on here replace their skis well before they're worn out. Increasing the per day cost substantially.

Plus the hassle.

I am not at all convinced that if you don't live in near mountains and don't use them more than, ? say 30 days a year, they are not a valid purchase vs. renting.
snow report
@under a new name, very much agree, but don’t forget “He who dies with the most toys wins”.
latest report
Advantages that I find from having my own skis.

1) When arriving in resort at midday in a Saturday it’s straight out skiing. Especially these days when you can top up your lift pass online. This is especially useful at ski in/out accommodations in France for example.
2) Have a double ski bag and take two pairs for the price of one.
3) Plenty of room in the ski bag for extra items which is especially useful when self catering.
4) Use my skis at the local snowdome and it’s so much better than queuing at the desk to get their hire ones. Plus as I’ve now got multiple sets it’s nice to ski on different ones.
5) None of my skis are worn out and even after many years my first set are still good to ski on.
6) Don’t get hung up on servicing as a quick and inexpensive wax once a while is probably enough for most people. This last season I didn’t even bother waxing and can’t say it really made that much difference, but then as I said I’m not overly concerned about it as long as I’m enjoying my skiing.
7) My Stockli skis cost me £750 about 8 years ago and they are still as good today as when I bought them. Have probably skied about 30 trips on them but do alternate usage with my other skis. Then there’s the multiple days at the indoor Snowzone which are way too many to remember.

Obviously this is just my point of view but love having my own skis.

Oh and yes sometimes I still hire skis in resort as well when wanting to try something new or different.
ski holidays
@under a new name, @ecureuil, the ecconomies of owning your own skis varies massively. Many, if not most, of us who own our own skis service themselves and those that have them professionally serviced may only do it a few times during the life of the skis. Tranport costs also depend on how you plan to travel. We drive and carry our skis with us. I am not sure what costs are incured by those travelling by train or bus.

People on here may replace there skis more frequently than 150 days of use but most people I know get closer to 200 days before they the break them. I bent one of my skis hence getting a pair of "semi rockered" skis - one was straight and one had a rocker

So my last pair of skis cost £600 and I have already used them for perhaps 300 days so about £2 per day of skiing. They are quite wide and suitable for soft snow so I am taking them to Japan with me this winter. They come within the airlines baggage allowance so no extra cost there. Takuhaibin service to transport the skis from the airport to Niseko is about £20 for all my ski luggage. I paid under £300 for their replacements which were "pre used" and expect to get over 100 days use out of them. The repalcements are narrower and more piste orientated which I think will be better for my artificial knee.

However, I have to agree with you that renting or buying skis is seldom a purely ecconomic decsision.
snow report
Me&MySkis wrote:
unfortunately, as a beginner one ski would feel just like another to me. Sad

I think you might be surprised on this front. There will be skis that, as a beginner, will feel almost unskiable to you (if the rep lets you on them). There will be skis that feel easier. Well worth trying a broad spread.

Years ago I bought a cheap (on sale) set of Rossi Pursuit 14 Ti, as a spare set of knockabout skis for guests. They have proven a great all rounder for lower-intermediate up to very advanced skiers. You can pick up used good-condition pairs for £100-150.

The "logistics" points some people have made are very valid. I own many many pairs of skis (I think we have about 16 pairs as a family of 4, and we swap around a lot), yet I still rent sometimes on shorter trips because it's just less effort than dragging skis around the train/airport, or because the conditions are more appropriate for some different skis (e.g. this Easter I'd taken piste skis, but there was a huge dump of snow so we rented fat skis).
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
@Me&MySkis, He probably wanted to keep it for himself Very Happy
They are not an expensive ski, I think they come in at under £500 with the binding.

Ah well he probably knows best..
Ask him if you could try a Kastle DX73 or a Stokli Laser then.
Those are my two current favourites... I'm a very senior intermidiot at 80Kg wink

Maybe. Very Happy Yeah, he's a sesoned skier, and works for Snow + Rock, and all of you don't. wink

I did have the Kastle DX 73 and Stockli Laser as honary mentions on my beginner/first ski list before it became a short list, and went to Glide & Slide in Otley, but it turns out the Kastle 73 even thou it is the beginner ski in their range are like Volkl and on the stiff side, and the Laser would have been £1,400, and I'm not paying that for my first skis, I'll pay in the region of 400 to 500, depending on which ones will be suitable for me at the trade show in Oct.

Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Me&MySkis wrote:

The misconception is yours. From what you've said about your skiing I absolutely would expect that you could tell the difference - if you can not then there is no point whatsoever in buying your own skis, just rent until you progress to the level where you can.

rolling eyes

What nonsense, your logic is someone that for now has limited ski technique and experience will know the difference in how different similar ski's feel in order to make a judgement as to which one would be most suitable for them, when they are still learning the skiing technique. It is akin to someone who has just passed their driving test, being asked to test drive an Aston Martin DB 12, vs a Bentley Continental, vs a Ferrari Roma, vs a Maserati GranCabrio, all essentially the same price, and then decide which one is best for them.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
There us no rush. Just stick to the CF skis for now. At your professed level there is no point stressing about anything else. You seem dead set on your own skis for consistency but all sorts of things will change in the next year including your perception of length you feel comfortable on.

I really wouldn't recommend buying a 150 ski if you are an adult male. They'll ultimately be pretty unstable on actual mountain slopes as you develop skills and speed.

Yeas, there is no rush for now, as I have 5 months till the trade show, and intend to stick with the CF rentals. I want my own kit to get used to it, and at my height of 167cm, it's be 157cm ish skis. As for the CF 50cm rentals I'm given, I find they can be a tad squirrely at times, when I've finished the run and am sliding at speed towards the barrier gap.

swskier wrote:
@Me&MySkis, appreciate you want the continuity of using the same skis every time, but i'm also in the camp of don't bother buying until you know for sure what you like.

Personally, I didn't bother buying skis until a couple of years ago, at which point I was at a pretty decent standard (had probably 15+ weeks under the feet). Ski hire shops are big enough, and have enough stock that there'll be something suitable to you, and also have a wide enough range that you can change them through out the week to try different skis and decide what you like.

That said if you've got the money and aren't concerned about buying a ski that will/should be unsuitable in a couple of months time due to your continued (hopefully) progression, then of course go ahead and buy your own.

What's your stats roughly? (Height and weight)

I probably fall in to the camp of, I can't tell too much difference between brands of an equivalent ski, despite skiing to a reasonably good standard. I can however feel a huge difference in the different types/lengths of skis, of which I own an increasingly expanding number of different types, much to the disapproval of Mrs Swskier Laughing Laughing

Well with my current rate of skiing at CF by the time the trade show I'll have been skiing for 37 weeks, or will have had 54 hours on the snow. As for "you can change them through out the week to try different skis and decide what you like." Once again, you are under the misconception that I'll know the differnce in ski feel compared to someone who is a sesoned skier.

I have the finances, that isn't a problem, and hopefully by Oct will my technique will have improved enough to have a ski that isn't a compleate beginners ski. We'll see. I'm just about 167cm high, and last time I stood on the scales at CF for binding setting I was 85Kg, not fladdy at all, as looks like I've genetically inherited the same short and stocky build as Dad was. lol

Scarlet wrote:
My trick for testing skis is to ski them back-to-back, in the same conditions, on the same piste, taking the same line as far as possible. Start off on your “normal” skis and do a couple of runs to get your ski legs, then swap to a new pair, and another, for as many pairs as possible. Take a photo each time, and note down the model, size and any thoughts you have. Sometimes it makes sense to go back for the same ski in a different length or width.

Meh, to much faffing around doing it that way, besides I get used to things.

Jammy 07 wrote:
@Me&MySkis,

Just my opinion but don't spend anymore than roughly that amount, plus they should be perfect for Chill Factore as well as your first trip to the mountains should you choose to take them with you.

Buying over the web isn't the same as buying over the S&R counter, as in the shop/trade fair you can see the ski's you are getting there and then. I'm going to spend around £500, and can strech to £600 if need be. But will have to see what trade show specials there are for my requirements, as they'll want the sale.

ecureuil wrote:
@Me&MySkis, I think there are three broad factors you might want to consider when deciding whether to buy or hire skis.

Financial. After allowing for annual servicing / repair costs and airline baggage fees it isn't necessarily cheaper to buy than hire. Depends also on how many weeks use you will get out of them before you want to upgrade.

Quality of skiing. You think it essential to buy, so you 'get used' to them. Personally I have hired for 30+ years and never had an issue. (If I had had an issue I could simply have swapped them). As a relative beginner, your technique will be far far more significant than any attributes of your skis. And of course after the first year hiring often gets you newer / better skis than a pair you might have bought a few years before, particularly when there are significant developments in design or technology..

Ease of travel. I am a similar age to you, as are my skiing companions. Those who own their own skis have now reached the point of thinking that they will switch to hiring when their current pair reach end-of-life, simply to avoid the hassle of travelling through trains, airports, transfers etc with an additional relatively heavy and awkward shaped item of baggage.

Financial: At S+R £75 for a full monty ski service.

Quality of skiing: I'm buying in order to have a familar set of planks on my feet, just as you drive a familar car, for I bet you don't rent a car every time you want to drive somewhere. My own skis and familarity with how they ski will have an effect on developing my technique as I get used to how they work. And IF I find I've out skiied them, then I'll sell simply them and get a differnt set more suitable.

Ease of Travel: A coffin bag is all I'll need. Might go the same way later, but my travel will be train to the airport, - the train stops at Padgate, and it is stright through to Manchester Airport - plane, transfer coach, and that's it.

under a new name wrote:
@Me&MySkis, following @ecureuil's points, I estimate skis have around 150-250 days reasonable life, dependent on use and servicing. So that's ~20-30 "weeks".

I am going to suggest that most people on here replace their skis well before they're worn out. Increasing the per day cost substantially.

Plus the hassle.

I am not at all convinced that if you don't live in near mountains and don't use them more than, ? say 30 days a year, they are not a valid purchase vs. renting.

Two weeks [ or maybe three weeks ] ski holiday per year, and practice at CF in between, and as a CF member, and booking their lift pass a month in advance, I could go there everyday if I wanted, or just continue doing what I've been doing and do 2 hours practice per week. As skiing is just a hobby for me now I'm retired, and not the be all, as I have a life outside skiing, and I have jobs to do.

Ski lots wrote:
@under a new name, very much agree, but don’t forget “He who dies with the most toys wins”.

Also don't forget, you can't take them with you, and a herst doesn't tow a safe. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Me&MySkis,
The Kastle dx73 is not just for beginers, its realy for "minted" skiers that enjoy driving to Austria in the Bentley Continentals. (With the hood down)
The Stockli Laser CX, is also for well healed skiers who might prefer a Porsche 911 Targa.
It takes just a little bit of taming, then you are in the Zone with them.

I can't afford to buy them... I just rent them.
Probably not what's required for The Chill Factor.
You'll need something that's easy and light to carry across the car park up there.
I've only been to the Chill Factor for a couple of days when they had the moguls out last year.
As for "Show+Pox", I've bought enough duff stuff from them in the past such as non fitting ski boots.
I better stop here.
latest report
Me&MySkis wrote:

Well with my current rate of skiing at CF by the time the trade show I'll have been skiing for 37 weeks, or will have had 54 hours on the snow. As for "you can change them through out the week to try different skis and decide what you like." Once again, you are under the misconception that I'll know the differnce in ski feel compared to someone who is a sesoned skier.

I have the finances, that isn't a problem, and hopefully by Oct will my technique will have improved enough to have a ski that isn't a compleate beginners ski. We'll see. I'm just about 167cm high, and last time I stood on the scales at CF for binding setting I was 85Kg, not fladdy at all, as looks like I've genetically inherited the same short and stocky build as Dad was. lol

No misconception that you will be able to feel a difference, the flip to this is, you don't know if you'll feel a difference because you've only used the CF skis (which I personally think are just about good enough for fire wood Laughing )

The trade show is for sure a great place to start, and as mentioned also check out when the Ski Test is that Snowheads run. It's worth seeing which brands will be attending which event and if there's some different brands at one but not the other, attend both! Try out as many as you can, and play around with lengths, turn radius' etc, because you really will feel a difference.

As has also been mentioned, when you get out to the mountains everything is going to feel very very different to skiing indoors at CF where it's a very controlled environment, there's all sorts of conditions you physically can't ski in CF, and you might find actually a different ski to what you like and buy at CF is not so nice out in the mountains.

I'm all for buying your own skis, just think it would be wise to gain some experience of the mountain environments before you think about what will suit you well.

Me&MySkis wrote:
Yeah, he's a sesoned skier, and works for Snow + Rock, and all of you don't. wink

Working at Snow + Rock doesn't mean much to a lot of people and their experiences of the shop Laughing Laughing
snow report
@swskier, haha
Quote:

the CF skis (which are just about good enough for fire wood Laughing

That's at least a step up from the boots Twisted Evil

@Me&MySkis, I should have been clearer, by "weeks" I meant the sort of typical 6 days skiing, so around 36 hours (YMMV), mine does ha ha!) - so 37 weeks doesn't equate to 54 hours.

@johnE, I'm not sure I know anyone who services their own skis! Everyone has a "tame" ski shop who does them. I reckon I need my edges done at least every 10 days, conditions depending, but easily that often if skiing hardpack. But this is immensely subjective. Also, you spend much of your time in the alps, don't you? One or 2 weeks in the alps plus evend a hearty number of hours in CF is quite a different cadence.

Anyhoo, everyone has an opinion on this and they're all equally valuable, worth about what you pay for them Twisted Evil
latest report
Anyway "trade show" is weird terminology - I'd suggest that what it is a public demo and they won't be selling the skis to you there and then so "deals" will be unlikely.

As for the guy at S+R, I'm sure he's fine but by definition of being in that job he probably does less skiing than a number of posters in this thread do before you write everyone off.
ski holidays
Quote:

he's a sesoned skier, and works for Snow + Rock, and all of you don't.

And thank feck for that! Then I wouldn't get to live in a ski resort.

PS what is this "sesoned"?
snow conditions
@under a new name, ikr? It's all just a bit too much effort and there's no point taking advice from a load of ski instructors, techs, seasonaires and Alpine emigrants on a ski forum, coz what do they know? Laughing
snow report
Great thread this and hope it keeps going all summer Very Happy
snow report
Me&MySkis wrote:

Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Me&MySkis wrote:

What nonsense, your logic is someone that for now has limited ski technique and experience will know the difference in how different similar ski's feel in order to make a judgement as to which one would be most suitable for them, when they are still learning the skiing technique. It is akin to someone who has just passed their driving test, being asked to test drive an Aston Martin DB 12, vs a Bentley Continental, vs a Ferrari Roma, vs a Maserati GranCabrio, all essentially the same price, and then decide which one is best for them.

ROFL! Yeah, cos of course the skis you're thinking of buying represent that part of the market.

Anyway, the car analogy is moot, because the realistic choice for someone who's just passed their test of, say, a Nissan Micra, a Fiat Uno and a VW Polo will not be based on how they feel to drive - they're all gonna be much of a muchness - but on other factors, from the practical to the aesthetic.

So to repeat and rephrase, if you're not experienced enough to demo several skis and find which works best for you then you really shouldn't be wasting your money on them at all.
ski holidays
Me&MySkis wrote:
What nonsense, your logic is someone that for now has limited ski technique and experience will know the difference in how different similar ski's feel in order to make a judgement as to which one would be most suitable for them, when they are still learning the skiing technique.

#1 But elsewhere in your post you bang on about how much skiing you are doing in the CF thus gaining technique and experience. #2 if you are too inexperienced to make a judgement actually using them how are you going to make a judgement choosing them?

Me&MySkis wrote:
Buying over the web isn't the same as buying over the S&R counter, as in the shop/trade fair you can see the ski's you are getting there and then.

How is seeing and holding them in the flesh going to help given you have already said you don't have the experience and knowledge to know what skis suit you - even if you actually ski on them, mind about hold/look at them?
ski holidays
Me&MySkis wrote:
Buying over the web isn't the same as buying over the S&R counter, as in the shop/trade fair you can see the ski's you are getting there and then.

How does being able to see the skis make a difference? If you don't think you'll be able to tell the difference in how they feel when you get them, you might as well buy online. Personally, I'd hold of purchasing for now. Also, I'm not sure I'd pick the same skis for skiing in a fridge and for on a mountain. If I was regularly skiing in a fridge I'd quite likely have specific skis for that.
Me&MySkis wrote:
Ease of Travel: A coffin bag is all I'll need. Might go the same way later, but my travel will be train to the airport, - the train stops at Padgate, and it is stright through to Manchester Airport - plane, transfer coach, and that's it.

Don't underestimate just how much hassle coffin bags are. They're awful on many trains, as they don't fit anywhere and are heavy and awkward to manoeuvre.
snow report
@under a new name,
Quote:

I'm not sure I know anyone who services their own skis!

I'm the other way around. Everyone I know who owns their own skis services them themselves most of the time. OK we sometimes drop them into the shop to be done, but that is only about 25€ every couple years.

Actually that's not quite true. I have a friend who to the best of my knowledge has never serviced his skis. About 10 years ago at the age of 45 he decided to take up snowboarding. His skis are about 210cm long
snow report
I have a feeling that I enjoy dreaming and talking about skis more than I actualy enjoy skiing on them.
Weird that....
But I'm not the only one.

I know that all of us on this forum just love to ski, so rather than trample on this great thread I'm going to start another. Just to explian my thoughts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy